Back to list
Security Advisory AA-003: Directory Traversal Vulnerability in Conceptronic GrabnGo Network Storage
Sep 02 2012 09:04PM
mattijs alcyon nl
Security Advisory AA-003: Directory Traversal Vulnerability in Conceptronic Grab?n?Go Network Storage
Severity Rating: High
Discovery Date: July 29, 2012
Vendor Notification: July 30, 2012
Disclosure Date: September 3, 2012
- System Access
- Exposure of sensitive information
Alcyon rates the severity of this vulnerability as high due to the following properties:
- Ease of exploitation;
- No authentication credentials required;
- No knowledge about individual victims required;
- No interaction with the victim required;
- Number of Internet connected devices found.
Products and firmware versions affected=
- Conceptronic CH3ENAS firmware versions up to and including 3.0.12
- Conceptronic CH3HNAS firmware versions up to and including 2.4.13
- Possibly other rebranded Mapower network storage products
An attacker can read arbitrary files, including the files that stores the administrative password.
This means an attacer could:
- Steal sensitive data stored on the device;
- Leverage the device to drop and/or host malware;
- Abuse the device to send spam through the victim?s Internet connection;
- Use the device as a pivot point to access locally connected systems or launch attacks directed to other systems.
The CGI-script that is responsible for showing the device logs is affected by a directory traversal vulnerability that
allows an attacker to view arbitrary files.
Proof of Concept Exploit=
At the time of disclosure no updated firmware version was available.
We recommend that you limit access to the devices's web management UI by utilizing proper packet filtering and/or NAT
on your router in order to limit network access to your NAS. Although this will not completely eliminate the risk of
exploitation, it becomes substantially more difficult to leverage a successful attack, because it would involve either
a compromise of another host on the victim?s local network or a client side attack that overcomes the Same Origin
Policy restrictions of the victim?s web browser.
- 2L/Conceptronic has declared on August 1 that it is not in their power to influence the manufacturer's patching
- Mapower, the manufacturer of the affected products, has contacted us on August 28 for details on reproducing the
issue on a CH3HNAS
- Mapower has confirmed on August 29 that they succesfully have reproduced the PoC exploit on a CH3HNAS and that they
are working on a fix
- There is currently no vendor patch available.
=Latest version of this advisory
[ reply ]
Copyright 2010, SecurityFocus