Forensics
RE: jetdirect log files Jan 04 2007 09:16PM
Bobby Smathers (bsmathers reypd com)
If logging is to be enabled via either through JetDirect (which
basically just turns the printer into a Print Server) which can be setup
to log to a computer using the syslog protocol (usually the UDP = User
Datagram Protocol and possibly TCP/IP as well) configured by the
JetAdmin software installed on another computer set to manage the
printers or is being logged itself through the JetDirects' or Printers
own built in Web Server capability that can be accessed by just pointing
your web browser to the IP address of the printer (or external JetDirect
module). If you are not using software like JetAdmin to manage the
printers (and logging) or by enabling logging in the printers built in
Web Server capability, the print queues could be setup on a print server
manually and then shared. If so, you can then simply check the System
Log in the Event Viewer for entries about what was printed where and by
which computer.

-----Original Message-----
From: listbounce (at) securityfocus (dot) com [email concealed] [mailto:listbounce (at) securityfocus (dot) com [email concealed]]
On Behalf Of Tony Arendt
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 11:08 AM
To: forensics (at) securityfocus (dot) com [email concealed]
Subject: RE: jetdirect log files

If the JetDirect is independent of a server/computer, there may be a web
(or telnet) interface on the JetDirect itself. They can be set up to
log print jobs, but I believe the default is off. Could be worth
checking out.

-T

> -----Original Message-----
> From: listbounce (at) securityfocus (dot) com [email concealed]
> [mailto:listbounce (at) securityfocus (dot) com [email concealed]] On Behalf Of Bobby Smathers
> Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 7:16 AM
> To: jefklak; forensics (at) securityfocus (dot) com [email concealed]
> Subject: RE: jetdirect log files
>
> Check the system log of the computer/server that the queue is
> setup on.
> Depending on when and how much logging you have enabled on
> the event logs, you will find it there.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: listbounce (at) securityfocus (dot) com [email concealed]
> [mailto:listbounce (at) securityfocus (dot) com [email concealed]]
> On Behalf Of jefklak
> Sent: Monday, January 01, 2007 10:03 AM
> To: forensics (at) securityfocus (dot) com [email concealed]
> Subject: jetdirect log files
>
>
> I have a network printer connected to a HP jetdirect module.
> I need to find out who printed lately some files. How can I
> retreive the log files from the module. Thanks.
> --
>
> Sent from the Security - Forensics mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> ##############################################################
> #######################
> This email may contain information that is privileged,
> confidential, or otherwise exempt from disclosure under
> applicable law. If you are not the addressee or it appears
> from the context or otherwise that you have received this
> email in error, immediately delete the message and any
> attachments from your system, and keep all information
> contained therein confidential. Use, disclosure or
> reproduction of this email by anyone other than the intended
> recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No representation is
> made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses.
> Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of
> the recipient. This E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed
> to be secure.
> ##############################################################
> #######################
>
>

########################################################################
#############
This email may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee or it
appears from the context or otherwise that you have received this email in error,
immediately delete the message and any attachments from your system, and keep all
information contained therein confidential. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this
email by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No
representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses.
Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient. This
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure.
########################################################################
#############

[ reply ]


 

Privacy Statement
Copyright 2010, SecurityFocus