Forensics Mode:
(Page 24 of 84)  < Prev  19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >
Re: Recovering data on a CD-RW 2005-07-10
Jonathan Glass (jonathan glass gmail com)
The isobuster program works really well. I've used it to recover data
from multi-session CDRs, when the user thought the previous tracks were
lost.

Thanks

Jonathan Glass

ChayoteMu wrote:

>CD/DVDs are not magnetic and so harder to recover from. If the disk
>was erased fully then the data is lo

[ more ]  [ reply ]
Re: Recovering data on a CD-RW 2005-07-10
Ty Bodell (tebodell gmail com)
I concur with ChayoteMu about the data being unrecovereable if the
disc was erased, in addition I would recommend the CD/DVD Inspector
application from Infinadyne (
http://www.infinadyne.com/cddvd_inspector.html ) I used it recently
and found it very capable.

Good luck,
Tebodell

On 7/9/05, Chayote

[ more ]  [ reply ]
Re: Utilities for determining OS, primary user 2005-07-09
keydet89 yahoo com
Michael,

ProDiscover, from Technology Pathways, has incorporated Perl as it's scripting language. Being newer, it doesn't have the script base (ie, total numbers of scripts) the other tools may have, but I and others are working on developing those scripts. Getting the specific information you wa

[ more ]  [ reply ]
Recovering data on a CD-RW 2005-07-08
Ron (iago valhallalegends com) (1 replies)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hey everybody,

I have an investigation involving a DVD-RW that has been erased, but not
re-written.

I was wondering if erasing a DVD-RW is like formatting a harddrive where
the data is easily recoverable, or if it actually overwrites the data,
and, if

[ more ]  [ reply ]
Re: Recovering data on a CD-RW 2005-07-09
ChayoteMu (chayotemu gmail com)
ToorCon 2005 Call for Papers 2005-07-07
h1kari (0x31337 gmail com)
TOORCON 2005 CALL FOR PAPERS - issued July 7th 2005

Papers and presentations are being accepted for ToorCon 2005 to be held
at the Convention Center in San Diego, CA on September 24th-26th. Please
email your submissions to cfp (at) toorcon (dot) org [email concealed], submissions will be accepted
until August 15th 2005.

AB

[ more ]  [ reply ]
Utilities for determining OS, primary user 2005-07-07
Michael Edwards (medwards digital-legal com) (1 replies)
Greetings to the list -

Not wanting to re-invent the wheel, I'm wondering if any have suggestions
for utilities to point at a slaved cloned drive, and quickly determine:

The Windows (or other, if possible) Operating System(s) on the drive, and
versions,
The User Accounts for those OS's
Other sug

[ more ]  [ reply ]
RE: Utilities for determining OS, primary user 2005-07-09
dave kleiman (dave isecureu com)
FBI InfraGard 2005 National Conference 2005-07-07
dave kleiman (dave isecureu com)
The conference will be held on August 9, 10 & 11 in Washington DC at the JW
Marriott at 1331 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC.

http://www.infragardconferences.com

Forensic Tracks: http://www.infragardconferences.com/pages/tracks_fore.html
(Shameless Plug)

Registration info: http://www.nbpci.com/I

[ more ]  [ reply ]
RE: Tools accepted by the courts 2005-07-05
Evidence Technology (le evidencetechnology net)
Jason, the summary of your position seems to be that every CF witness for
the prosecution should basically testify that, "yes, that image is there but
since it came from the Internet, it's impossible to tell whether it got
there intentionally or not." That's flat wrong. Sometimes you can't tell.
Man

[ more ]  [ reply ]
RE: Tools accepted by the courts 2005-07-03
Evidence Technology (le evidencetechnology net)
As Craig pointed out, simply using a certain tool to investigate a certain
event in no way validates the view that computer forensics is a subset of
infosec. It's not a subset, plain and simple. It's a different field. Might
there be overlap at times between CF and infosec? You bet. There's also
ple

[ more ]  [ reply ]
GrokEVT 0.1 Released 2005-07-02
Tim (tim-forensics sentinelchicken org)
Hello,

Several months back, I announced on this list that I was beginning work
on a free tool to parse Windows event logs (.evt files) from Linux. I
have finally reached the point of my first release. The tool isn't
stable enough yet to be trusted for an investigation, but with some time
and lots

[ more ]  [ reply ]
Re: Tools accepted by the courts 2005-06-30
Craig, Tobin (OIG) (tobin craig va gov) (1 replies)
I'm not convinced that public humiliation is the way to go. The way that credibility is maintained in our field is through doing our job with thoroughness, accuracy and excellence, both in the laboratory and in the courtroom.
Can I suggest that the proliferation of substandard examiners is the resu

[ more ]  [ reply ]
Re: Tools accepted by the courts 2005-07-02
Raymond C. Parks (rcparks comcast net)
Re: Re: Tools accepted by the courts 2005-06-29
tobincraig va gov
(I'm not sure why my post didn't get through yesterday, here goes again)

I think there is a danger in going down the "my certification is better than yours" path. Yes, we owe it to ourselves and those we represent to ensure we maintain a benchmark by which we can be initially measured in a court o

[ more ]  [ reply ]
Re: Tools accepted by the courts 2005-06-29
nbroom trcglobal com
One additional area of certifications not discussed in this thread that should be of major concern for the field of forensics is the backing of the certification. As has been mentioned, John Mellon formed the CCE certification and still is its major champion; however the CCE is now overseen by an i

[ more ]  [ reply ]
Re: Tools accepted by the courts 2005-06-29
Jason Coombs (jasonc science org) (2 replies)
Evidence Technology wrote:
> I also agree wholeheartedly with Tobin, in that "our job is to provide
> objective, accurate, scientifically sound testimony of often complex
> material in a manner that can be reasonably understood by a jury, using
> tools techniques and processes that we understand and

[ more ]  [ reply ]
Re: Tools accepted by the courts 2005-06-29
Keith Morgan (keith morgan kings com)
RE: Tools accepted by the courts 2005-06-29
Evidence Technology (le evidencetechnology net)
Re: Tools accepted by the courts 2005-06-28
subscribe (subscribe crazytrain com) (1 replies)
On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 12:27, Becky Nelson wrote:
> Farmerdude -
>
> One major difference that I can tell is that the entire test has to be
> completed in three days and is proctored, versus just the written test
> being proctored. The person taking the test will also need to show
> that they can

[ more ]  [ reply ]
RE: Tools accepted by the courts 2005-06-28
Evidence Technology (le evidencetechnology net)
Tools accepted by the courts 2005-06-27
Becky Nelson (cybergirrl gmail com) (2 replies)
I disagree on the comments regarding certifications. If you talk to
law enforcement personnel that have been through the FLETC SCERS
training, and have subsequently obtained the SCERS certification, they
will tell you that the training and test are by far more comprehensive
than that offered in the

[ more ]  [ reply ]
Re: Tools accepted by the courts 2005-07-03
Yuri (ybnair gmail com)
Re: Tools accepted by the courts 2005-06-28
subscribe (subscribe crazytrain com)
RE: Tools accepted by the courts 2005-06-26
Jerry Saperstein (lists civildiscovery com) (1 replies)

I don't intend to be a critic, but the reality is that I am.

Anyone holding themselves out as an expert witness in any field
should have acquired an understanding of the law regarding expert witnesses,
their role in the judicial system, the tests applied by the state and
federal courts to exper

[ more ]  [ reply ]
RE: Tools accepted by the courts 2005-06-26
Evidence Technology (le evidencetechnology net)
Re: Tools accepted by the courts 2005-06-25
Jack Seward (JackSeward msn com)
Hey Jerry, I understood that alright but was suggested that today's tools
out perform those of the past, and the examiner need to be using the current
technologies.

Jack Seward

----- Original Message -----
From: "Evidence Technology" <le (at) evidencetechnology (dot) net [email concealed]>
To: "'Jack Seward'" <JackSeward@ms

[ more ]  [ reply ]
RE: forensics Digest 17 Jun 2005 15:04:36 -0000 Issue 499 2005-06-25
George M. Garner Jr. (gmgarner erols com) (1 replies)
Vladis,

Farmer and Venema address this question in their book (Forensic Discovery,
p. 182). The long and short of it is that it all depends. Modern Intel
CPU's tend to have bios settings that clear main memory on restart, but
there are exceptions. Sun SPARC's and Apple G4's typically do not clea

[ more ]  [ reply ]
(Page 24 of 84)  < Prev  19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >


 

Privacy Statement
Copyright 2010, SecurityFocus